Have you ever caught yourself slouching at your work desk or while talking on the phone? Ugh. It happens to the best of us, and kudos to you if you catch yourself in the act. In addition to aching muscles and moving yourself closer to a rounded spine, poor posture makes you look like you just don’t care. But we know you do. If you’re looking to improve your posture, here are some easy posture tips for better health.
- Don’t sit for hours on end. Get up every hour, or even better yet every half hour, to stand, stretch, or walk. Even a quick walk around your work building will help you stay limber.
- Before you begin and end your days, you can gently stretch your body by lying on the ground and making ‘snow angels.’
- You’ve heard this one a million times, but sit up straight when sitting in a chair. If you need a reminder, you can place a Post-it at your desk or take ‘before and after’ pictures of yourself slouching and sitting straight to keep on your smartphone for reference. Strengthening your core muscles and the muscles around the spine will help make sitting up straight easier.
- Build your bone health by making sure to get enough vitamin D and calcium.
- Wear proper clothing and shoes that support good posture.
- Consider investing in posture accessories such as a lumbar support pillow, foot rest, and a seat wedge.
Better posture is easier to obtain and maintain when you’re aware of how you’re standing or sitting, and these tips will help you to straighten up!